2018 STUDENT AUDITIONS (CLASSICAL)
Rhode Island Chapter
SATURDAY, MARCH 3 2018 starting at 9am
at SALVE REGINA UNIVERSITY, Newport RI
SEE our Special Presenter Sondra Kelly here.
SEE the awards presentation and Winners' Concert here.
CATEGORIES Categories explained here!
Child (up to age 11) 2 songs (one in English) Categories explained here!
Youth (age 11-14, 6th-8th grade) 2 songs (one in English) Categories explained here!
Lower High School 2 songs (one in English) Categories explained here!
Upper High School 2 songs (one in English) Categories explained here!
Lower College 3 songs Categories explained here!
Upper College 4 songs Categories explained here!
Advanced College 5 Songs Categories explained here!
Adult Avocational (for comments only; no prize money awarded) 2 songs
Adult Aspiring Pro (adult students with 4+ years of lessons post HS) 3 songs
WHAT SINGERS NEED:
* 2-5 memorized songs (depending on category) with printed, legally obtained sheet music for your pianist. Categories explained here!
* Entry form completed online including name of RINATS member teacher.
* $25 for entry (paid online at time of entry)
* A qualified pianist to play for you; you book and pay the pianist (ask your teacher for help)
* Four copies of the adjudication form (click to print one, fill it out, then copy it)
*** RINATS TEACHERS: Remember, you must be present to adjudicate if you're sending students to the Auditions! ***
WHAT HAPPENS ON AUDITIONS DAY:
1. Bring your (legal) sheet music (no photocopies allowed) and water bottle! Dress in whatever makes you feel great!
2. Sign in at welcome desk on the main floor of Angelus Hall at Salve Regina University. Try to sign in no later than 30 minutes before your audition time.
3. Warm up before you get to the Auditions. Please DO NOT meet your pianist for the very first time at the Auditions -- there will be limited warmup rooms available.
4. If you have a long wait before you sing, visit other audition rooms and watch performances. You might find a perfect song for your next recital!
5. Be outside your audition room at least 10 minutes before your scheduled audition time.
6. It's time for your audition! Smile and say hello to the judges, and hand over your adjudication forms. Bring your music to the pianist as needed. Then stand up confidently and indicate when you are ready.
7. SLAY! You worked hard for this moment; enjoy it! Bring in all the friends and family you want. Get someone to video your audition so you can watch it later!
8. You're all done! Now what? Watch other performers, or relax in the lobby.
9. When all the auditions are done, enjoy the Special Presentation Master Class by Metropolitan Opera singer Sondra Kelly in Ochre Court, while the results are tallied.
10. At the end of the Special Presentation, awards will be announced. Come up and accept the applause of a big crowd!
11. If you are named a First Place Winner in your division, you will sing one piece for the Winners' Concert that immediately follows the announcements. Just come up and sing one more time!
12. Your RINATS teacher will collect your adjudication forms and share them with you at the conclusion of the auditions, or at your next lesson.
Have questions? Contact your RINATS teacher or a RINATS board member.
RESULTS of the Rhode Island NATS Classical Student Auditions, 2018
CHILD: Isabella Claudio
YOUTH 1st: Mia Shalansky
YOUTH 2nd: Landon Davong
YOUTH 3rd: Uma Mandapati
LOWER HS 1st: Lexi Ianni
LOWER HS 2nd: Daisy Estrada
LOWER HS 3rd: Jenna Goulart
UPPER HS 1st: Kaya Giroux
UPPER HS 2nd: Abby White
UPPER HS 3d: Aashita Mathur
LOWER COLLEGE 1st: Rachel Garrepy (tie)
LOWER COLLEGE 1st: Isobel McCullough (tie)
LOWER COLLEGE 2nd: Katherine Souza (tie)
LOWER COLLEGE 2nd: Madeline Green (tie)
LOWER COLLEGE 3d: Mystie Frezza
UPPER COLLEGE 1st: Shiqiu Yang
UPPER COLLEGE 2nd: Kristen Huetteman
UPPER COLLEGE 3rd: Jennifer Elwell
ADULT ASPIRING PRO: Ashley Frezza
CONGRATULATIONS to all the singers, teachers, and supporters!